Friday, August 29, 2008

When Life's Not Fair - Don't forget to pray

For as long as I can remember my dad has been telling me that life's not fair. It was a common phrase in our home. The other thing that he really emphasized is that God is in control and prayer to the Almighty is both important and helpful. To be honest, I think that my prayer life was more...alive, perhaps, when I was working at the hospital. I would always take a nap before my shift, wake up, read my Bible, and then I would quite literally beg God to help me make it through the next 8-12 hours. This usually invovled tears. Recently I was thinking of how the time I set aside to spcifically pray to God seems to have dwindled quite a lot since He has blessed me with a better job. So, I've been trying really hard to make sure I pray - not just through the day, but on purpose pray about everything I can think of. This week we found out they were changing Andy's schedule. He had been working Monday-Friday 8-5. Normal people hours. His new hours are Wednesday-Saturday 8-8. Eugh. I have to say I was quite disappointed about not having Saturdays together -and since we have some things already scheduled (An Awana conference, Rowden Reunion) I was a bit disheartened. I remember though on Thursday night I said the prayer before we ate supper...and I prayed that God would do what He wanted and work things out the way He wanted. I have to say that for the first time in a while, I felt that I could completely trust God and that I would perhaps be disappointed but quite alright with whatever happened. I wish I was more eloquent in writing so you could understand the peace, but it was a great feeling to know I was putting my concerns in God's hands...and to just trust. Andy has since worked things out - by that I don't mean he gets Saturdays off. He is going to have to work some 12 hour night shifts, but we do get our Saturdays together for the month of September. I am thankful for that, and I hope that God keeps growing in me this ability trust Him more.

1 comment:

Pastor Gary Woodring said...

I am amazed at my children grown and at the opportunity to see life through their eyes. Not only do I see their perspective of the world today, but I also get the opportunity to see how they reflect on their past. And as I meditate upon God's goodness and how their lives reflect a love for God and for us as their parents; and how they now do things and say things that challenge me in my walk of faith; I am in awe and humbled at the majestic and awesome God we serve and bow to offer praise and thanks.