Saturday, June 13, 2009

Memory of A Lesson Learned

I'm reading through the book of Numbers right now. I have a hard time trying to "get something" from what I read because the book is (as it is clearly described in it's title) all about numbers of things, people, etc. I have learned several things though and made a few applications. Today I was reading chapter 14 and it reminded me of an event in my life that happened long, long ago. Something others perhaps would have forgotten, but the memory in my mind is clear -and I'm sure my dad is happy about that. I think I was 5 years old and my dad told Jonathan and me to put on our socks and shoes. He didn't really give us more information other than he wanted us to do it and stop playing. I'm not really sure what we were playing...maybe we were even watching tv, but we did not go and get our shoes on. I know that he asked us at least one more time to put our shoes on, but we were in no hurry to do it. We found out after we didn't that our destination was ShowBiz Pizza. When we knew that we tried to run, hurry and put on our shoes. But, it was too late. We were asked, we did not obey, and our chance was lost. A little lesson in obedience. I remembered that again today when I read chapter 14 of Numbers. God wanted the people to go and possess the Promised Land, but the people were in no hurry to do that because they were afraid of the inhabitants. God was frustrated that they had seen Him do many miracles (taking them from Egypt, crossing the Red Sea, providing Manna, presenting himself in a constant presence of fire and cloud, etc) and yet they did not believe that He would see them through this even though He promised He would. So, he gave them the consequences. Everyone (except Joshua and Caleb) over the age of 20 years would die in the wilderness. Well, of course the people didn't like that either. Some of them decided to then change their mind after they learned the consequence...they wanted to do what God asked, but it was too late. The decision had been made and the people had disobeyed. Some of them tried to go into the land anyway -Moses warned them that God would not be with them now, but they attempted and were killed.

So, lessons to be learned everywhere. We should obey our parents and do what God has asked. It seems so simple, but really it's quite difficult to actually do everyday and all day.

No comments: