Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How did we get here?

I'm sitting in a mission house, boxes all around, a list to help me sort through what to send to Togo and what to sell.  I just finished reading a prayer guide specifically created for the region that we'll be moving to and our mission team, and I have constant thoughts of how to move my family half-way around the world and settle ourselves on the continent of Africa.  I just read an update where ABWE was welcoming short-term missionaries that will be giving 2 years of their life as service on the mission field.  They had a picture attached, and it was pictures of men and women of all ages.  I think I thought maybe it would be people just out of college or high school, but it was people that were young, old and middle aged.  And, then I remembered.  That was almost me.  Two years ago we started out completing the application to do a 2 year, short term work.  And look where I am now.  We changed (after some prompting and praying from the mission agency) to career missionaries.  Career.  Potentially the rest of my life.  I've been thinking about this for a few minutes and realized I am completely happy to be on this path.  I want to be doing this for the rest of my life. I want a complete career change.  I was glad when I realized I wasn't part of the short term group, but the long term commitment.  And, that was a much needed realization as I sit here in the middle of boxes, explaining in toddler terms for the gazillionth time where we're going and why I'm putting all our stuff in boxes or giving it to other people.  It was a blessing to realize that in the midst of the difficulties of the process I am still very happy with this decision to go.  Thank you, Lord for giving me this little boost!

No comments: